- Book Title: S.U.M.O (Shut Up, Move On) The Straight Talking guide to creating and enjoying a brilliant life
- Author: Paul McGee
- Year written/published: 2005
- Book Source: Google Books, Library
- Summary: Personal improvement for life
- My Comments: Short, succinct, frank!
- Contents page:
1. Change you T-Shirt 2. Develop Fruity Thinking 3. Hippo Time is OK 4. Remember the Beachball 5. Learn Latin 6. Ditch Doris Day
- People tend to overestimate what they can achieve in a year, and underestimate what they can achieve in a lifetime ~Anthony Robbins
- At the end of the day do not be the kind of person who says I wish I had, I wish I had, I wish I had. Be the kind of person who says I’m glad I did, I’m glad I did, I’m glad I did. ~Zig Ziglar
Avoid Victim Language… replace with SUMO language…
- Life is not fair – I am unhappy about that, what can I do?
- This is just the way I am – How can I improve?
- There’s nothing I can do – There’s always something I can do
- It’s impossible – let’s find a way
- Who is to blame? – How can we move forward?
- I am a victim – I am a survivor
TEAR Thinking: Thinking -> Emotions -> Actions -> Results Fruity Thinking:
- I am worth more because of who I am, not because of what I do
- I learn from the past but I do not remain rooted in it. I know when to let go and when to move on.
- I am responsible. I have choices. No one else plays as big a role in determining my destiny as I do.
- I choose to major on the majors. I am aware of the big picture and focus on what is important. I see things in perspective.
top 3 tips for Hippo Times (times when you truly need a period for wallowing eg. death, loss of job, accident etc)
- Be careful of who you talk to
- Be careful how many people you talk to (to re-tell is to relive)
- be careful how long your Hippo time lasts
Why do we procrastinate:
- Avoiding discomfort
- Emotional Barriers
- fear of failure
- Action illusion
Some questions for inner coaching:
- Where is this issue on a scale of 1-10?
- How important will this be in 6 months’ time?
- Is my response appropriate and effective?
- How can I Influence or improve the situation?
- What can I learn from this?
- What will I do differently next time?
- What can I find that’s positive in this situation?